Saturday, April 14, 2012

No Time To Panic

After an abysmal effort in a game 1 loss, the Canucks upped their compete level considerably in game 2. While they didn't dominate like I'd hoped that they would, at least they were able to skate with the Kings and had a definite edge in play five-on-five. Sometimes all it takes is a miscue or two. Sometimes the better team doesn't win. I think that happened tonight as LA pulled off a big 4-2 win to take a 2-0 lead back to Staples Center.

The Canucks undoing was their power play. You can look back to them trading Cody Hodgson and not getting a power play guy in return, you can look at their inability to replace Ehrhoff, and of course you can look at the loss of Daniel Sedin, something that obviously is not Mike Gillis' fault. All of these have been a factor. I also think that Newell Brown has made their power play too predictable. It's time to change things up and maybe lose the neutral zone drop pass. Something drastic has to happen. They can't get by LA, let alone win a Stanley Cup without some production from the PP.

Back to Daniel Sedin for a moment. I would like to see a rule change. If it is deemed an attempt to injure which clearly, watching the incident with Duncan Keith, I would say that it was, then the offending player should be out at least as long as the injured player if not longer. The important thing here would be to find a way to determine what exactly is an attempt to injure. Rome on Horton? I would say no. Weber on Zetterberg? Probably yes. The Bitz hit on Clifford? That's where it gets a little tricky. I'm not sure. But I do think that if there was a rule in place there would probably be a good chance that Duncan Keith turns to retrieve the puck, which is instinctually what a defenceman would do in that moment, instead of targeting Daniel's head with his elbow. His season could be on the line. Maybe that would help lessen the concussions and extend some great player's (Sidney Crosby) careers.

I will say this though, if Daniel Sedin does not return to the Canucks and they don't get past LA, or even if they fail to win the Stanley Cup, Duncan Keith is probably not going to feel very welcome coming back to BC, and I'm not above going all Tonya Harding on his ass.

Roberto Luongo has been at or near the top of his game for the first two games of this series. Surprisingly I haven't read any hateful Twitter tweets. (Pretty sure that's redundant.) Having said that, I personally would go with Cory Schneider for game 3, as I mentioned in my last blog. I think Schneider is a little quicker, better positioned, more patient, and has overall had a better season. Perhaps more importantly the team often seems to play better in front of him. More than anything this team needs to change something up.

Once again this year the Canucks were a great road team. There are often a lot of distractions at home, and most certainly a lot of pressure. They were probably looking forward to getting out on the road. Don't jump off the bandwagon yet. If we fight back on Sunday and find a way to win, well we are right back in the series. I really hope that Daniel is able to come back, but I have a bad feeling. The Canucks are really going to have to tighten things up in their own end if Daniel doesn't come back or there may not even be a game 5 back in Vancouver. For me though, that would be less heartbreaking and way less painful than losing game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Well my lucky, smelly autographed Canucks t-shirt, which was so successful last Spring, didn't work. My Long Island Iced Teas were a bust. I'm not sure what else to try. Still have to decide on our next Canuck drink. Definitely thinking about Tequila Shooters but I worry that if the Canucks go on a big winning streak (and of course we will have to continue drinking Tequila shots every game) then I would miss the Stanley Cup Parade because I would be in AA Meetings. Maybe I'll just go with Pear Cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment